Vancouver Open at Kits Beach, July 13-15
WHAT TO DO THIS WEEKEND IN KITS
1) Watch volleyball, July 13-15: Volleyball BC’s Vancouver Open is back at Kitsilano Beach for their summer showdown. In addition to the sparkling weather, spectators get to watch two of the world’s best U-21 volleyball players (Melissa Humana-Peredes and Victoria Altomere) compete. Remember, Olympians are past Vancouver Open champions. Following the games, Bimini Public House (2010 West Fourth Ave.) hosts a volleyball social Saturday evening.
2) Meet the Burnadettes, July 15, 12pm-2pm: Canadian Cancer Society’s charismatic spokesmen, The Burnadettes, will be at Kits beach in full sun-burned glory to tell folks why “Tanning is out.” If you don’t have time to visit and chat, just read the slogan emblazoned on their red backs.
3) Head over to Vancouver Folk Music Festival, July 13-15: For 35 years, Van Folk Fest has brought talented folk musicians from all over the world to Jericho Beach. This year, there are 60 artists and about 30 food vendors. Day and evening tickets are available at the gate.
4) Celebrate Bastille Day at Bistro Pastis, July 14: Bistro Pastis is throwing a sophisticated Bastille Day fête this Saturday, with 3-course, prix fixe menu for $45. Pissaladière. Tournedos. And profiteroles. Oh my!
5) Breakfast/brunch at a new independent coffee shop: So far this summer, we’ve written up two exciting new coffee shops: Culprit Coffee and Blaq Sheep Coffee House. Head on over, support an independent neighbourhood newcomer, and tell us what you think!
BONUS: Get your hand son some B.C. Cherries. We’ve heard it’s been a record setting cherry season in B.C. Cherry prices at the grocers on West Broadway are down to $1.29/lb.
Last modified: July 14, 2012
Independent coffee shop Blaq Sheep Coffee is now open at 2959 West 4th Ave., the former Cafe Zucchero space. My usual coffee shop picks are Viva on Yew and the charming, out of the way Arbutus Coffee. Although recently, I find myself drawn to the other newbie independent coffee shop, Culprit Coffee , perhaps because of the sunny yellow exterior. It’s that irresistible summer feeling.
Volunteer – contact Bethany Farnell – email@example.com to sign up as a volunteer. We are looking for score keepers and court maintenance help on Friday, Saturday & Sunday. All volunteers can sign-up for a full day or a half day. T-shirts and lunch will be provided to all volunteers.