Growing up, I vividly remember stuffing being the star of my dinner plate every Thanksgiving. This is a recipe that has been passed down from my grandma, who never failed to fill our bellies with food made with love. It has the perfect texture and mouth-feel, and a wide variety of vegetables and seasonings to elevate its taste.
Her traditional stuffing uses regular butter and whole eggs, however, since becoming plant-based six years ago, I had to find a way I could still enjoy this recipe.
My plant-based version contains Earth Balance plant-based butter and ground flaxseed, which are both good sources of omega-3’s. Omega-3’s are important for brain health and mental well-being, as well as reduce risk factors and symptoms of metabolic syndrome, heart disease, inflammation and autoimmune diseases.
- 16oz loaf bread
- 1 ½ cups grated carrots
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ lb chopped fresh mushrooms
- ½ cup plant-based butter
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp poultry seasoning
- ¼ tsp sage
- 2 flax eggs
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Prepare flax eggs by combining 2 tbsp ground flaxseed with 6 tbsp of water. Set aside to thicken.
- Remove the crusts and cube the bread, and prepare your vegetables.
- Sauté celery, onions, mushrooms and spices in the plant-based butter.
- Add parsley, carrots, bread, water and flax-egg mix together then bake for 30 minutes. Optional: add a little veggie broth for more of a moist end-product.
Rachelle is a Registered Dietitian temporarily licensed with the College of Dietitians of British Columbia. She graduated from UBC with a Bachelor’s of Food Nutrition and Health degree majoring in Dietetics. Rachelle is passionate about plant-based nutrition, sport nutrition and gut health. She is inspired by motivating others to find balance, create a deeper understanding about nutrition, and optimize gut health by minimizing bloating and digestive stress. Rachelle’s hobbies include going to the gym, personal training, and creating fun and innovative plant-based recipes.
Last modified: October 6, 2021