Kitsilano has lots of great options for burgers if you’re up for dinner out or take out but what if you’re cooking at home and meat isn’t on the menu.
Rachelle Duckworth, Nutrition Consultant at Choices Markets in Kitsilano has a recipe for you to try.
The “Full House” Vegan Burger
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 540ml can of unsalted black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of quinoa, ground
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 3 tsp. ground cumin
- A generous pinch of cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Coconut oil (to grease the cooking pan)
- First, you’re going to want to cook your sweet potatoes. I don’t know about you, but I don’t have much luck with thoroughly cooking sweet potatoes in the oven, so I steam them in the microwave! Dice your sweet potatoes into small cubes about 1/2 inch in size. Place the cubes in a microwave safe dish, season as desired (I love pepper) then cover and cook them in the microwave on HIGH for 5 to 7 minutes. Let them stand for 5 minutes.
- While your potatoes are cooking, measure and grind your quinoa in either a food processor or a blender (I used a Vitamix). Add in your rinsed black beans, garlic, chopped onion, soy sauce, and spices.
- Once your potatoes are done, add in the steamed cubes into the food processor/blender and blend until the mixture is smoothly combined.
- Roll your patties into 8 equal balls and set aside.
- Grease your skillet/pan with coconut oil and pre-heat it to ~300°F (medium).
- Flatten your patties and place them on the pan. Cook each side for 6 minutes, flip, then cook the other side for another 6 minutes.
Serve on a whole grain bun (aim for a bun that has 2-4 grams of fiber) and your toppings of choice. Try adding romaine, sliced tomatoes, white onion, avocado and barbecue sauce!
If you are looking for more information on local food and nutrition, please reach out to Choices’ Nutrition Team or visit their Kits location at 2627 West 16th Avenue and ask for Rachelle.
For more recipes visit www.choicesmarkets.com.
Last modified: September 10, 2021