Firefighters responded to a call this morning at Kits Furniture at Burrard and West 8th Avenue to find smoke pouring out of the back of the business.

According to CTV, firefighters forced their way in through the front door and found the source of the fire in a wood shop located at the back of the building. It took fire crews about an hour to put out the fire.

The fire started after someone working on staining furniture in the wood shop left a rag behind and overnight a chemical reaction made the rag spontaneously combust.

There is no structural damage to the building, but the contents of the wood shop were damaged by fire, and the retail side of the store likely also has some smoke damage.

Photo: Shane MacKichan

Last modified: January 4, 2020

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.