Other than adding a generous splash or three of Baileys in your morning coffee each morning, here are five ways to get into the Xmas spirit this week.
1. Put on your warmest clothes and take a walk or slow ride along some of the best Xmas light displays in our Kitsilano neighbourhood. West 6th Avenue, West 7th Avenue, and Collingwood Street are just some of the streets lit up beautifully this year. Don’t forget to bring a thermos of hot cocoa (perhaps with just a little added liquor, because ’tis the season after all).
2. Forgo the pressure of shopping for more store-bought gifts and make something for someone instead. Fill mason jars with homemade granola, ready-to-mix-cookie ingredients, or chex mix. Add a red bow and tag, and place it in the hands of your neighbour, teacher, delivery person, and garbage collector.
3. Check your closet for lightly used winter clothing and accessories that you can do without and donate them to someone in need. Look in your pantry cupboard, too, for some non-perishable items that you can donate to the Food Bank via a Safeway location. Or hand out hot coffees to people who may need it.
4. Have a night in with family and friends and watch old Xmas favourites such as Scrooged, Die Hard, or Gremlins. Enjoy with home-made caramel popcorn, bacon-flavoured potato chips, or pints of ice cream in everyone’s favourite flavours.
5. Listen to Bing Crosby’s classic winter tunes and pretend it’s snowing outside. Turn on that fireplace channel for extra coziness. And while you’re at it, have a little more Baileys and be prepared to welcome in the cheer.
Last modified: December 19, 2018