August is the most glorious month of summer in Vancouver. It’s also bittersweet because you know the good weather is on its way out, and it’s soon time to forgo lazy beach time and return to routine.
At Kitsilano.ca, we try to make the most of what the city has to offer in summer. There’s plenty of free fun to be had even if you’ve already spent your vacation budget.
Here are 10 free, fun things to do in Kitsilano (and greater Vancouver) before the summer is over.
10 Free Things to Do in Vancouver in August
1) Enjoy beach time while you can. Kitsilano Beach is great for people watching and happy hour access at West 4th restaurants. Picnicking families prefer to camp out for the day at Jericho Beach and Spanish Banks. Bring the grill, a beach volleyball & your favourite people. Stay until sunset.
2) Salsa every Sunday at Afternoon Salsa in Robson Square through August 25. It’s free. It’s easy to find a partner if you don’t have one or if your significant other suffers from two left feet.
3) Bring the family to Granville Island Water Park. It’s free. They can splash. You can read a novel.
4) Pick blackberries! They’re easy to spot along the seawall after Kits Beach, by the railroad tracks at West 7th and Arbutus in Kits and under the Burrard Bridge. Make a crumble. You get a day outdoors + you avoid dropping cash at boutique bakeries and the organic produce section of Whole Foods.
5) Watch outdoor movies in Stanley Park through August 27. Find the schedule via @OutdoormoviesBC on Twitter.
6) Get fancified at free ballroom dancing lessons at the Robson Square Summer Dance Series every Friday night through August 30, 201
7) Take your date to the Vancouver Chinatown Night Market on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays through September 8, 2013
8) Hike Pacific Spirit Park. Bring a picnic. And a furry friend.
9) Attend the gargantuan, two-day 125th Anniversary Party at Stanley Park, August 24 – 25.
10) Drop gobbets of rotten, oozing flesh on the Vancouver Zombie Walk on August 17!
Last modified: September 5, 2013