Persia Foods at West Broadway/McDonald (2827 West Broadway) in Kitsilano has been selling local blueberries for $1.99/lb so I stocked up. Did you know that BC grows over 55 million kilograms of blueberries annually? With two kilos of blueberries in my fridge, I decided to make this summer berry crisp recipe from our local Whole Foods for friends on the weekend. It is super simple to make and perfect when paired with vanilla ice cream. Happy summer!
• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for the baking dish
• 1 1/2 pound (about 5 cups) organic mixed berries, such as hulled and chopped strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and/or raspberries
• 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, divided
• 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
• 1 cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly butter an 8- or 9-inch-square baking dish or 9-inch pie plate. In a large bowl, combine fruit, 1/3 cup sugar and 1/4 cup flour and toss until evenly coated. Transfer to the buttered baking dish. To make topping, stir together oats, remaining 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup flour. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut butter into oat mixture until well-combined. Spread topping over fruit, pressing down slightly. Bake until the top is golden brown and the fruit is tender and bubbly, about 40 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes and serve warm.
Per Serving: 270 calories (90 from fat), 11g total fat, 6g saturated fat, 25mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (4g dietary fiber, 10g sugar), 5g protein
Recipe courtesy of Whole Foods
Image courtesy of: Whole Foods
Last modified: July 24, 2013