WHAT TO DO THIS WEEKEND IN KITS:
1) Taste Vino, July 20-21. Kitsilano Wine Cellar (2239 West 4th Ave.) is hosting two wine tastings. The first, on Friday July 20, from 4-7pm, features Joseph Mellot Wines (France.) On Saturday, July 21, also from 4-7pm, Kits Wine Cellar will uncork four wines from Stag’s Hollow Vineyard (Okanagan).
2) Rock out at Khatsahlano! Music + Art Festival, July 21. Saturday from 12pm-8pm West 4th Avenue transforms into a free, multi-block party. With 40 hot, local bands spread out over 10 blocks it can be hard to find the free show you’re looking for. But don’t cry. Just use our Khatsahlano! Music + Art Festival Guide.
3) Swing by Kitsilano’s Biggest Garage Sale, July 21. Khatsahlano! coverage usually focuses on the impressive musical line uo. Collectors, decorators and curious browsers won’t want to miss the Kitsilano’s Biggest Garage Sale – the mother of all garage sales. Residents set up on West 4th Avenue between Balsam and Trafalgar, go nuts decorating their yard plot, and sell an eclectic mish mash of junk and treasure.
4) Bocce it up, July 21. The 10th Annual Bocce by the Beach goes down Saturday, July 21, from 1-3pm, at Spanish Banks West. We hear bocce is no longer a sport strictly associated with espresso-sipping elderly Italian gentleman in white undershirts. Although they still play. But it’s becoming all the rage with the 20-30 somethings.
5) Hide in the movies, July 20-22. What better way to postpone thoughts of Monday than at the movies? Yes, Woody Allen’s latest Euro-romance is out. And The Dark Knight Rises at theatres not in Kitsilano. But have you heard about critically-acclaimed and oh-so-magical Beasts of the Southern Wild, starring 6-year-old protagonist Hushpuppy?
Last modified: July 20, 2012