While Kitsilano isn’t home to any official Remembrance Day observances, the folks at the Billy Bishop Legion are welcoming one and all after the following ceremonies around town.
- Victory Square (West Hastings at Cambie Streets): Vancouver’s largest Remembrance Day ceremony at the cenotaph. Gather at 10 am. Program begins with mounting of the guard and Vancouver Bach Youth Choir. Ceremony continues through till 11:30 am followed by a march past along Hastings Street. Organized by the Vancouver Remembrance Day Committee.
- C.R.A.B. Park at Portside: A twenty-one gun salute is set off adjacent to the park beginning at 11:02am. One round is fired every minute from three 105mm Howitzers by members of the 15th Field Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery.
- Memorial South Park (near main entrance on 41st Avenue at Windsor Street): A parade begins at John Oliver Secondary School at 10:00 am, followed by a memorial service at the cenotaph at 10:30 am. Organized by the South Vancouver Veteran’s Council.
- Grandview Park: Due to park reconstruction this service will be located at a temporary cenotaph at the outdoor plaza at Britannia Community Centre, 1661 Napier Street. Service begins at 10:30am, parade begins at 11:15 heading south on Commercial Drive and past a temporary reviewing stand near Grandview Park cenotaph. Organized by Royal Canadian Legion #179
- Japanese Monument at Stanley Park (near the Stanley Park Pavilion): Gather at 10:40 am. Sponsored by the Japanese Canadian War Memorial Society.
The Billy Bishop Legion (Branch 176) is located at 1407 Laburnum Street, just off Cornwall Avenue in Kits Point.
Last modified: November 10, 2010
[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Kitsilano.ca, James Beare. James Beare said: Remembrance Day in Kitsilano: While Kitsilano isn\’t home to any official Remembrance Day observances, the folks … http://bit.ly/cLACRu […]
There is also a ceremony at the Royal Vancouver Yacht Club. The event at the club is close to the public but you can participate by watching from Jericho beach (many people do). This ceremony is great because you have a beautiful view, the planes fly over head and it is close to home.
close = closed
There is also a public ceremony at UBC in the War Memorial Gym at 10:30am today.