While Kitsilano isn’t home to any official Remembrance Day observances, the folks at the Billy Bishop Legion are welcoming one and all after the following ceremonies around town.
- Victory Square (West Hastings at Cambie Streets): Vancouver’s largest Remembrance Day ceremony at the cenotaph. Gather at 10 am. Program begins with mounting of the guard and Vancouver Bach Youth Choir. Ceremony continues through till 11:30 am followed by a march past along Hastings Street. Organized by the Vancouver Remembrance Day Committee.
- C.R.A.B. Park at Portside: A twenty-one gun salute is set off adjacent to the park beginning at 11:02am. One round is fired every minute from three 105mm Howitzers by members of the 15th Field Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery.
- Memorial South Park (near main entrance on 41st Avenue at Windsor Street): A parade begins at John Oliver Secondary School at 10:00 am, followed by a memorial service at the cenotaph at 10:30 am. Organized by the South Vancouver Veteran’s Council.
- Grandview Park: Due to park reconstruction this service will be located at a temporary cenotaph at the outdoor plaza at Britannia Community Centre, 1661 Napier Street. Service begins at 10:30am, parade begins at 11:15 heading south on Commercial Drive and past a temporary reviewing stand near Grandview Park cenotaph. Organized by Royal Canadian Legion #179
- Japanese Monument at Stanley Park (near the Stanley Park Pavilion): Gather at 10:40 am. Sponsored by the Japanese Canadian War Memorial Society.
The Billy Bishop Legion (Branch 176) is located at 1407 Laburnum Street, just off Cornwall Avenue in Kits Point.
Last modified: November 10, 2010