Becoming a Zero Waste community means rethinking what we send to the landfill, and looking for alternative ways to reuse and recycle as much as possible.
Whether you’ve just cleaned out your closet or have a garage full of old, broken, or unwanted electronics, these items can likely be reused or recycled – instead of ending up in the landfill.
So, gather up all those clothes and shoes you no longer wear, and those small appliances and electronics that haven’t worked for months, and bring them to the Free Electronics and Used Clothing Reuse and Recycling event at Kitsilano Secondary School this Saturday, September 22nd.
Items you can donate and bring for reuse:
- Computers and monitors (collected by Free Geek to re-purpose for those in need)
- Clothing – women, men, children
- Accessories – scarves, hats, gloves
- Bags and purses
- Bedding – sheets, pillowcases, blankets
- Bath towels
- Fabric shower curtains
- Cloth tablecloths and napkins
- Kitchen tea towels
Items you can recycle:
- Video game systems
- Small household appliances
- Power tools
- Home theatre components
- Portable audio and video equipment
- Household batteries
- Light bulbs
- Light fixtures
- Car seats
The following items are NOT accepted:
- Hazardous waste
- Furniture and large/bulky items
- Soft plastics
- Pharmaceutical products
- Construction materials (e.g. drywall, wood, etc.)
- Sinks, toilets, bathtubs, etc.
- Propane tanks
- Used oil, paint
- Pillows, cushions, and duvets
The recycling event will take place in the parking lot of Kitsilano Secondary School at 2706 Trafalgar Street from 10am to 1pm.
Last modified: September 23, 2018