A Vancouver man is speaking out after one of his dogs somehow ingested hard drugs during a routine walk at Kits beach this week.

Jean-Francois Houde told CTV News Vancouver that his three-year-old dog, Loretta, starting acting strange after they returned home from Kitsilano Beach on Wednesday.

“We realized she was really not able to stand at all. She was walking like she was drunk,” Houde told CTV. “She became kind of paranoid.”

The usually outgoing dog suddenly seemed afraid of bright lights and any kind of noise, so Houde took Loretta to the Burrard Animal Hospital. Testing revealed the dog had eaten phencyclidine, or PCP.

Amanda Gawor, a senior animal care technician at the hospital, told CTV News they see several cases of drug toxicity in pets every week, but the bulk of them usually involve marijuana.

The hospital have recently seen an increase in harder drugs showing up in dogs’ systems.

Last modified: November 28, 2017

Comments are closed.