Life is too short to fret about Halloween costumes. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of easy kids’ costumes you can throw together with simple clothes, some face-paint and basic craft supplies. We’ve also covered where to source Halloween costume supplies in Kitsilano. Get all the details after the jump.
10 Quick and Easy Homemade Kids’ Halloween Costumes
1) A bunch of grapes: Pin some green or purple balloons on to a brown sweater and tights and complete the look with a green toque and some green felt leaves.
2) A pirate: A big white shirt, black bandana, red sash and cardboard eye-patch make a fun and easy pirate costume.
3) A cow: Sew or glue some black felt “spots” on white leggings and a sweater and add a frayed black rope for the tail.
4) A Despicable Me minion: Make the minion Goggles by cutting two rings from a paper towel tube, painting them silver and stapling them together, and then to some black elastic. Put on a yellow hat, yellow sweater and a pair of overalls to complete the look.
5) A bat: Sew two black felt ears to a black hoodie and glue or stitch a pair of garbage bag wings to the sleeves.
6) Rocket Man: Wrap two Pringles cans and party hats in aluminum foil or duct tape. Add some streamers to make a fabulous rocket that can be strapped on with ribbon.
7) Elmo: Dress in a red sweater and pants and pop on a red toque with two small red felt ears and two Styrofoam eyeballs glued on the top for a costume that takes about 10 minutes to throw together.
8) Strongman: Make a barbell from two black balloons glued to a cardboard tube. Dress in some cute shorts and a stripped t-shirt and draw on a cute curly moustache with some face-paints or an eye-liner pencil.
9) Sunflower: Sew yellow craft foam petals onto a ribbon to tie around your child’s face and dress them all in green for the stem.
10) A spider: Stuff two pairs of black tights with paper to make the legs, dress in black and throw on a black toque for a classic spider costume.
Where to Source Halloween Costume Supplies in Kitsilano
The Kitchen Corner Store on 4th Avenue and Dollar and Classic Gifts and Superior Dollar stores, both located on Broadway, are packed with crafting goodies. If you need to buy some clothes, check out American Apparel, Please Mum and the Salvation Army stores. Don’t forget to browse new and used costumes for sale in the online Vancouver classifieds.
- The Kitchen Corner, 1955 W 4th Avenue, (604) 734-4244
- Dollar and Classic Gifts, 2881 Broadway W, (604) 737-4244
- Superior Dollar Store, 3287 Broadway, (604) 569-3196
- American Apparel, 2242 West 4th, (604) 733-7050 americanapparel.net
- Please Mum, 3071 West Broadway Street, (604) 732-4574
- Salvation Army, 1906 West 4th Avenue at Cypress, (604) 737-2444
Last modified: October 23, 2013