WHAT TO DO THIS WEEKEND IN KITS: AUGUST 17-19
1) Take the kids to Granville Island Water Park or Kits Pool, August 17-19. It’s going to be a warm, sun-filled weekend and it’s one of our last. Max out our proximity to Kitsilano Pool: Canada’s longest salt water swimming pool, and the free Granville Island Water Park, open until Sept. 5.
2) Cheer at the Canadian National Beach Volleyball Tournament, August 17-19. Beach volleyball nationals are back at Vancouver’s Point Grey beaches for the first time in a decade – the senior and junior men’s and women’s Canadian championships, as well as five other divisions all the way down to U14. There are worse ways to spend an after-noon than at the beaches at Spanish Banks, watching beach volleyball of the top calibre in Canada.
3) Obtain and consume ice cream, August 17-19. Another summer tradition you’ll want to make the most of before September. Your local options? Fro yo at Scoop! on West 4th Ave. Milkshakes at Nimby Burger and Sophie’s Cosmic Cafe. Paradiso on Yew does Italian gelato – to mixed reviews. Coco Nymph Chocolates & Confections carries pints from artisan Vancouver ice cream company Earnest Ice Cream.
4) Party at Arbutus Coffee, August 19. The 105 year old building – a former Delamont boomtown grocery store – will celebrate their history and receive a Places That Matter Plaque, Sunday, August 19, from 12pm to 6pm.
5) Watch kindergarten class gone wrong at UBC’s Color Me Rad 5K, August 18. Color Me Rad Vancouver takes place at Thunderbird Stadium at UBC on August 18, and benefits Keep-A-Breast Canada. The color starts flying at 9am with waves of runners getting plastered with paint every 5 minutes after.
Last modified: August 17, 2012