Kitsilano restaurants Hapa Izakaya and Fable announce new Bring Your Own Wine corkage fees.
WHAT TO DO THIS WEEKEND IN KITS
1) Hit the beach, August 3-6. We hear it’s going to be 28°C on Saturday. Sounds like swimming weather to us. It’s free and fun. Get it while you can.
2) Watch the Celebration of Light fireworks finale and vote for a winner, August 4. Saturday, August 4 is the grand finale of Celebration of Light with Italy trying their best to outdo the stellar pyrotechnics by Vietnam and Brazil. Here’s where to watch and how to vote.
3) Join the Vancouver Pride Parade and party, August 5. Sunday is Western Canada’s biggest Pride Parade and Festival. You can probably see the 600,000 participants (or at least a runaway rainbow balloon) from our side of the Burrard Bridge ,as they march through the West End and party on Sunset Beach. Why not cross the bridge and join in?
4) Visit Vij’s Railway Express at Kitsilano Farmers’ Market, August 5. Vij’s restaurant serves what many consider to be Vancouver’s best Indian food and has been written up by the NY Times. Vij’s fans are raving about Vij’s Express food cart, serving all the foods of the railway stations of India. Expect: chickpea salad with mango chutney, kebabs wrapped in chapati, prawns with coconut masala and basmati rice, vegetable curry and more. Vij’s drops by the Kits Farmers’ Market on Sundays. We’ve also spotted Vij’s Express in front of Urban Outfitters on Yew.
5) Shop the summer sales, August 3-6. All the Kits retailers are offering killer sales these days. The Gravity Pope End of Season Sale starts August 3. Get 30% off sale prices. Searching for more steals? Wear Else, XO Bella, Miz Mooz, Plenty, Urban Outfitters and Babes on 4th have all got major markdowns.
6) BYOW, August 3-6. Kitsilano restaurants Hapa Izakaya and Fable have both introduced Bring Your Own Wine corkage fees, following the recent announcement of new liquor laws. It’s $20 a pop. My wine usually costs under $20, but if you’re a fancy pants connoisseur, this could upgrade your dining experience.
Last modified: August 7, 2012