Some people get really into Christmas. I’ve seen a few people sporting Santa hats while sipping their eggnog lattes and one couple out for a run whizzed by me with their pom poms blowing in the wind.
Most people get into the spirit by putting up some lights, whether it’s around a window in their apartment or intertwined with garland around their white picket fence. A few home owners in Kits have gone all out and I made it my mission to see how many I could find in a two hour walk around the â€˜hood. Here are my top finds.
- House on the corner of Cypress and West 7th. This guy has gone all out. There’s Santa riding a silo, a big blow up Rudolph and even lit hula-hoops hanging from the trees. Many interesting decorations to discover here folks.
- Right next door on West 7th you’ll find the oddest Christmas theme I’ve ever seen. On either side of the stairs leading up to the porch, you’ll find a mannequin head adorned with a Santa hat while a huge beautiful ornamental ball of lights hangs from the tree out front.
- House on the corner of West 12th and Blenheim features a yard full of inflatable Christmas decorations from a giant snow globe to a Grinch with lots of pretty lights as well. My favorite is the snowmen elves riding the carousel.
- House on the corner of Stephens and West 5th has tons of lights on the house and in the yard. Spectacular.
- House on Collingwood between West 11th & 12th has a display of lights, inflatable Christmas decorations and music to boot.
There are plenty of other great finds so if you’re looking for a way to burn off some of those extra holiday calories, I’ve designed a walking tour that will let you hit all of the above attractions plus some other wonderful holiday displays.
- Start at Stephens and West 5th (house #4 listed above) and walk south along Stephens to West 6th.
- Turn right and go west on 6th until you hit Blenheim.
- Turn left on Blenheim, then right at West 7th. At Collingwood, turn left and cross Broadway, and you’ll soon find yourself at house #5 listed above.
- After feasting your eyes and ears on the Christmas spirit, continue to West 12th where you will turn left and head east. There’s a crosswalk at Blenheim and 13th, but your goal is to make it to house #3 on the corner of 12th and Blenheim. This is one of my favorites!
- Continue east along 12th – there are quite a few nicely decorated houses along this street. Turn right at MacKenzie, go north two blocks to 14th, then turn left and continue east.
- Turn left on Larch, then right at 12th, and left again at Vine. If all this walking has got you in need of a hot bevvie, hit the Higher Grounds coffee shop on Vine and West Broadway.
- Continue north on Vine to West 7th, where you will turn right and head east to Cypress. The last two houses (Numbers 1 and 2 above) are where our walking tour of Kitsilano Christmas Cheer draws to a close.
Last modified: December 22, 2009
The little rotating snowmen/elves on the carousel at Blenheim and 12th are the best — a truly hypnotic spectacle…