For the umpteenth time in a row, Kitsilano received the Best Vancouver Neighbourhood accolade. Sure, this probably says more about Georgia Straight readers, but it’s nice to see us come out on top.
After the jump you can find a list of all the Kitsilano 2008 Readers’ Choice winners.
I’ve only listed “pure” Kitsilano winners; so only places within our boundaries, no chains, and no places that have more than one location (except if they are all in Kits).
- Kits Beach – 2nd in Place to Watch the Sunset
- Varsity Automotive – tied for 3rd in Auto Service (Independent)
- Briers – tied for 2nd in Gift Shop
- LouLou – tied for 3rd in Gift Shop
- Garlands Florists – 2nd in Florist. A deserved winner, and far and away our favourite flower store in Kits.
- As recently mentioned: Zulu Records – 1st in Music Store (Independent)
- Prussin Music – tied for 3rd in Musical-Instrument Store
- The Comicshop – 1st in Comic-Book Shop
- Duthie Books – 1st in Bookstore (Independent)
- Banyen Books & Sound – 2nd in Bookstore (Independent)
- Purple Dragon – tied for 3rd in Martial-Arts Studio
- Kelli Taylor, Elements Wellness – 2nd in Acupuncturist
- Tori Mierau, Honey Dew Day Spa – 1st in Massage Therapist
- Angela Mackenzie, Rebound – tied for 3rd in Massage Therapist
- SpaEthos – tied for 2nd in Spa (Independent)
- Bloom Essentials – 3rd in Salon for Pedicure/Manicure
- Arbutus Laser Centre – 1st in Laser Hair-Removal Centre
- Linda’s Urban Spa – 1st in Bikini Wax. Between this and the previous entry, I think we have hair removal covered in Kits.
- Honey Dew Day Spa – tied for 3rd in Place for a Non-Surgical Make-Over
- Mark James – tied for 1st in Men’s Clothing Store (Independent)
- Fab – 1st in Place to Buy Jeans
- Karma – tied for 3rd in Source for Yoga Wear
- Gravity Pope – 1st in Shoe Store (Independent). Also won first price for Best Urban Zoo on a Saturday.
- Crocodile – 1st in Baby/Toddler Store. Although the result states it’s a tied first place, it turns out this was a typo, and Crocodile claimed sole first spot. This is extremely impressive given that all three other winners are large retail chains (Please Mum, BabyGap, and The Children’s Place), and that they left the likes of Babies R Us and TJ’s behind them. Congratulations to our favourite baby store!!
- Sophie’s Cosmic Cafe – 3rd in Brunch (looks like Straight readers don’t actually read the Straight…)
- The Naam Restaurant – 2nd in Late-Night Takeout, surrounded by Fritz European Fry House, Wendy’s and McDonald’s. What an odd, odd result.
- Notte’s Bon Ton Pastry & Confectionery – tied for 2nd in Bakery (Pastries)
- Sweet Obsession – tied for 3rd in Bakery (Pastries). It’s great to see two of our favourite bakeries as winners.
- Market Meats – 2nd in Butcher
- Seven Seas Fish Market – 2nd in Fresh Seafood Store
- Fifth Avenue Cinemas – 3rd in Most Comfortable Movie Theatre; 3rd in First-Run Movie Theatre; 1st in Theatre Concession Stand
- Ridge Theatre – 3rd in Theatre Concession Stand
- Bard on the Beach – tied for 3rd in Most Talked-About Arts Event of Year
- Kits Beach – 3rd in Make-Out Place
- The Art of Loving – 2nd in Sex-Toy Store
So, lots and lots of winners, but that is of course to be expected in a winning neighbourhood (and the vast number of categories may have helped a little too…). One area that Kits seems to do particularly well in, health and wellness. Quelle surprise.
Last modified: September 21, 2008