Kitsilano is lucky to have Bard on the Beach Shakespeare Festival in Vanier Park each summer.
The festival is one of the top events of Vancouver festival season, and is largest not-for-profit, professional Shakespeare festival in Canada. Tickets for Bard on the Beach 2016 just went on sale April 6. The season runs from June 3 to September 24. Details on the performances and how to get tickets below.
The Festival’s summer-long celebration of Shakespeare starts with ROMEO AND JULIET on the BMO Mainstage, with Kim Collier (Hamlet, 2013) returning to Bard to direct this timeless romantic tragedy. It alternates with Bard’s Jessie Award-winning 2012 production of THE MERRY WIVES OF WINDSOR. This huge audience favourite is full of high-spirited comedy and live performances of classic 60s popular music. Johnna Wright is back to direct, this time on the BMO Mainstage, along with many of the original actors.
On the Howard Family Stage, in the Douglas Campbell Theatre, two of Bard’s best-known and award-winning actors make their Bard directorial debuts. Bob Frazer directs the tragedy OTHELLO, setting the play’s jealousy and manipulation amidst the racism and violence of the American Civil War. Lois Anderson directs a mythical and exotic setting of PERICLES, Shakespeare’s adventurous tale of a hero’s quest to find love, family and the meaning of life.
Play run dates and Special Events for 2016 are:
- Romeo and Juliet: June 3 – September 23 (BMO Mainstage) – Opening Night Friday, June 10
- The Merry Wives of Windsor: June 17 – September 24 (BMO Mainstage) – Opening Night Friday, June 24
- Othello: June 24 – September 17 (Howard Family Stage) – Opening Night Thursday, July 7
- Pericles: July 2 – September 18 (Howard Family Stage) – Opening Night Sunday, July 10
- Bard-B-Q & Fireworks: Saturday, July 23, Wednesday July 27 & Saturday, July 30 @ 5pm – includes play, dinner, on-site entertainment including a world-champion pipe band, and exclusive fireworks viewing. Tickets from $95
- Chor Leoni: Mane Stage: Mondays, June 20 & 27 @ 2pm & 7:30pm
- Wine Wednesdays: July 13, August 10 & September 7 @ 6pm. $21 (must purchase play ticket for same evening).
- Vancouver Symphony Orchestra at Bard: Mondays, July 11 & 18 @ 7:30pm
- Opera & Arias: The Magic Flute: A costumed concert staging; Mondays, August 29 & September 5 @ 2pm & 7:30pm
- Exploring Shakespeare Talks: Delve deeper into each play’s story and background with Simon Fraser University’s Paul Budra. Saturdays, June 11 and 25, July 16 and August 13 @ 11am
- Salon Series: New this season, behind-the-scenes panel discussions. July 18, August 29 and September 5 @ 7pm
- Talkback Tuesdays: free post-show discussions following Tuesday performances in both theatres. July 5 – August 30
- Family Nights: Lively pre-show activities, family package pricing available: July 6, August 3 and August 31 @ 6pm
Tickets for Bard on the Beach’s 27th season are on sale starting April 6. Ticket prices for 2016 include all applicable fees and taxes and begin at $20. Early booking is recommended for best seat selection; note many performances sell out in advance. The full performance schedule, site information and play and special events details are on the Bard website at bardonthebeach.org. To book tickets, order online through the Bard website or call the Bard Box Office at 604-739-0559 or (toll free) 1-877-739-0559.
Last modified: July 10, 2017