1) Sip pink wine, August 10. Kits Wine Cellar is hosting a free “La Boutique du Vin Portfolio Tasting” Friday, from 4-7pm. Kick start your weekend with a taste of rose. Alain Cloutier from La Boutique du Vin will be pouring a rose from Provence, a rose from the Languedoc, and a stunning 09 CNDP from his portfolio.
2) Attend KitsFest, August 10-12. KitsFest (pictured right) is a free, family-friendly, beachfront version of the Summer Olympics. Cheer as adults and kids compete in beach tennis, volleyball and basketball. The Kids’ Zone has an obstacle course, face painting and a vintage VPD police car. Adults can expect DJs and onsite catering from Boathouse, Chronic Tacos and more, in addition to the sweaty showdown. Get the full scoop here.
3) Partake in a free pancake breakfast at the lululemon SeaWheeze Cheer Station, August 11. On Saturday, August 11 two blocks of West 4th Avenue will be closed to traffic to create the World’s largest cheer station for The SeaWheeze lululemon Half Marathon. The cheer station starts at the corner of Cypress Street and West 4th Avenue and will help power 7,500 runners two blocks uphill to the turn-around at Arbutus Street. To celebrate, enjoy a free pancake breakfast served until 9:30am. Many West 4th retailers will be joining in the fun and offering samples, snacks, and cheering equipment.
4) Get bendy at Public Sunset Yoga, August 11. It’s happening; Kits Beach is going downward dog Saturday, August 11, at 7:37pm with Public Sunset Yoga. If you’re feeling bendy, head down to the sand and join in. Get the full details here.
5) Bring a picnic to the Kitsilano Showboat summer performances, August 10-11. I walked by the Kits Showboat stage (located in front of the Kits Pool) and was pretty surprised by the meager attendance. So here’s a shout out: Kits Showboat summer evening performances are a free, family-friendly neighbourhood tradition offering entertainment, from comedy to storytellers, dancers, musicians and clowns. In short: They’re fun! There are two Kits Showboat performances this weekend: 7pm August 10, and 7pm August 11. Come out and support the volunteers. The last show of the season is August 17.
Last modified: August 10, 2012