Panettone is a seasonal Italian sweet bread filled with candied fruit. It makes the great base for a bread pudding that will wow your guests. I also like the use of eggnog in this recipe for Christmas as it adds a festive holiday flavor, and the drizzle of Trader Joe’s Fleur de Sel Caramel Sauce on top is better than icing on a cake! With Pirate Joe’s now at 2348 West 4th, you don’t even have to leave your ‘hood let alone head south for the border to get the ingredients.
1 (750g) loaf panettone
4 cups eggnog
1 tsp vanilla
Trader Joe’s Fleur de Sel Caramel Sauce
1. Cut panettone into 1-inch cubes. You should end up with about 12 cups of bread.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs. Add in eggnog and vanilla and blend well. Toss in bread cubes until all pieces are coated.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Let bread pudding mixture sit to soak in liquids further.
4. Lightly grease 12 ramekins, a muffin tin, or a 9×13″ baking dish. Pour in bread pudding mixture. Place pan into a larger pan and pour boiling water into the outer pan, being careful not to get water into the bread pudding. This is a water bath and will ensure that the bread pudding cooks evenly without drying out.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes if making individual pieces, or 50-60 minutes if using a large pan. Cook until bread pudding puffs and top is lightly browned. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top, if desired. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
6. Drizzle with caramel sauce.
Recipe modified from Cooking with Trader Joe’s (www.cooktj.com)